Saturday, February 05, 2005

Why we parent - Warning child related content ahead

Tonight Jackson got a "migraine".
It's in quotes because it's never been diagnosed as such.
It's moments like these, when my child really needs to be soothed, that I feel most like a mother.
Tonight he acted like a baby and when I closed my eyes I could almost pretend he was a toddler again.
Tonight he cried in pain; I fixed it and he was happy again.
Very few things in life are as rewarding.

I gave him advil. I put a cool washcloth on his forehead.
I gave him antacid in water to make the need to barf go away.
I gave him a bath to relax him and wash his hair.
I held the blowdryer and combed his curls.
He smiled and kissed me on the lips.
He went to sleep in his own bed.

Through the course of this he had asked if he could sleep with me, I said yes.
He asked what I was thinking as I stared off into space while he bathed, I said "a baby".
He smiled and said "You want another one, don't you?", I said yes.

No comments: