Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Food

I have to admit that one of the highlights of the trip to Finland was the food. I was apprehensive about the food and how much of it I would like, having once lived with a Finn here in Canada, but I had some really positive experiences. The daily spread at our hotel was more than satisfactory. The catered dinner at Tournament Central was another matter.

Good things
- scamwiches
- finding Dr. Pepper for sale

Not so good things
-catered dinner - lingo berry Jam

About lingo berry jam: It resembles baby food. While in some forms this might be enjoyable, this one was not. To eat something of this texture I think you need the proper medium. Perhaps a cake, cookie or pie crust to carry it to the mouth but no, not even whipped or heavy cream was available to dilute the sweet, sticky goo. The first night it was provided I filled a bowl with it only to find that I couldn't stomach more than a tablespoonful. The other volunteers laughed at my bowl, especially the native Finns, and I was embarrassed to have to throw that much food away.

Later: scamwiches and Dr. Pepper

No comments: