Monday, October 04, 2004

pizza, pasta, panini

I used to think I wanted to be my own boss; I used to think that being on contract sucked. Now I know better. The grass is not greener on the other side, it's all sharp, pointy, green stuff made to LOOK like grass. Problem is, as soon as you jump said fence you land on it and cut yourself to pieces. I could not have IMAGINED how hard running this business would be and the funny thing was I actually thought I'd be good at it. Nowadays, I'd like to kill the "two teas please" lady and shove burning pizza down the gullet of every teenager who comes along.
Jaysus toist, "No, I DON'T have any Hawaiian today" and I'm really, really, really sorry about that.
One guy actually came to the counter today and asked for three things I no longer serve, all in a row. I had to fight very hard to contain the laughter.
I remember getting very angry when Wendy's stopped serving their garlic breadsticks. Between Jack and my mom and I we could go through six or seven of those an order. Why, in hell, would they discontinue them, I used to wonder. Now I'm on the other side I understand a wee bit but I'm still pissed off. I.E. I don't serve pasta salad anymore, haven't for a while because it doesn't sell and goes bad really fast. Another customer came to the counter and ordered it and went all nutso on our asses when we told her we didn't make it anymore. Don't know where she's been all year but it ain't at my store.

No comments: